We are hiring
Climate Science Editor
Science Feedback is looking for a climate science editor (full-time or part-time freelance) to review the credibility of influential claims and articles on climate science-related topics in collaboration with scientists and academics. We are looking for thoughtful, methodical, and rigorous candidates with a deep commitment to scientific objectivity and good knowledge of climate science.
Science Feedback is a not-for-profit organization with a mission to help Internet users find credible information in scientific domains by providing feedback to readers, journalists, editors, and tech platforms.
Since 2015, Climate Feedback has grown a global network of scientists that review influential climate change media coverage, developing a new approach to “fact-checking” crowdsourced directly from domain experts. We launched Health Feedback in 2019 to broaden this approach to the field of health sciences and are expanding to other fields that are prone to misunderstandings.
Science Feedback is a signatory of the IFCN Code of Principles—verifying our commitment to accuracy, fairness, transparency. As an editor, you will need to help us uphold these high standards. Our reviews are trusted for their rigor. They are featured prominently in Google News and search results (see here) and used by Facebook/Instagram to inform users who have interacted with posts containing false information (see here). We also work with TikTok to identify health and science misinformation in viral videos.
- Work with our team to coordinate reviews of articles and claims: This includes daily monitoring of trending news articles and social media posts related to climate, overseeing a timely and rigorous review process, editing colleagues’ drafts
- Write reviews as a science editor: This includes identifying experts and seeking comments from sources including our network of scientists, finding and evaluating scientific literature, writing the content of claim reviews or the summary of article reviews made by scientists, as well as editing and reinforcing scientists’ contributions (copy-editing, adding figures, links to references, etc.)
- Grow our network of contributing scientists by inviting new experts
- Write “Insight” articles explaining the state of knowledge on specific scientific questions, discussing popular narratives on the Internet, or analyzing the propagation of false claims online
- Provide editors and journalists with constructive feedback based on our reviews, asking for corrections when applicable
- Write content to promote our reviews and results on social media, inform our community of social media followers about relevant research
- Write a monthly newsletter to provide updates and highlight main reviews and results for the community (scientists, journalists, members of the public)
- Strong motivation to help Internet users find accurate information, be willing to debunk misinformation wherever it comes from (for instance, from those who exaggerate or downplay climate change impacts)
- Excellent knowledge about how science works, the scientific method to (in)validate hypotheses
- Good knowledge about state-of-the-art scientific research
- Excellent understanding of the scientific publication process; be able to identify academics’ expertise based on the quality of their scientific publications and recognize potential conflicts of interest
- Ability to explain scientific results and processes in terms understandable to a broad audience
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Perfect mastery of English (native speakers preferred), professional fluency in other languages is a plus
- Ability to draft posts and publish in WordPress
- Non-partisanship: Our staff and freelance contributors are required to abstain from advocacy/political campaigning
- Experience writing about climate change science and interviewing scientists
- Experience working as a science journalist, editor at a scientific journal or a fact-checker a strong plus
- Candidates with a scientific background (PhD or Master of Science) or a science journalism background are both encouraged to apply
- Work location: Paris, France; remote work is possible
- Competitive compensation and benefits, including health coverage and paid time off
- Yearly contract with minimum of 20 hours per month
- Work location can be Paris, France or remote (we have contributors in the USA, Brazil, Spain, Singapore)
- Competitive compensation
To apply, please send
- a cover letter highlighting relevant experience and motivation for applying to the position (specify if you are looking for a full time or freelance position),
- a resume,
- 2 writing samples.
We will consider applications as they arrive and conduct interviews and writing tests with select candidates.
Deadline: 31 July 2021
→ Email [email protected]